The property is located in the northwest corner of Ziebach County, 38 miles from Faith, Isabel, and Bison.
Thunder Butte is 14 miles west of Dupree and 33 miles east of Faith. Pierre, SD, the state capitol, is just under two hours away and provides regional air service. Rapid City is 2.5 hours away, and Sioux Falls is a 5-hour drive.
Ziebach County is part of the Great Plains and is characterized by rolling grasslands and numerous buttes. Almost the entire county lies within the Cheyenne River Indian Reservation.
Named for Frank M. Ziebach, a political figure in the Dakota Territory during the territorial period from 1861 to 1889, Ziebach County was officially a made county in 1911. In the 20th Century, cattle were raised in substantial numbers, but when the railroad bypassed the area this industry declined. Also known as “Wakinyan Paha” to the Lakota, its religious and cultural significance to the Lakota goes back further in time.
Thunder Butte forms the highest point of elevation in Ziebach County, and lies on the drainage divide between the Grand River, to the north, and the Moreau River to the south; both rivers drain eastward to the Missouri. The butte is located about 75 miles west of the Missouri River, and about 105 miles northeast of the Black Hills, (as the crow flies).
The landmark holds strong historical significance, and has long stood as a geographical reference point. Thunder Butte has strong historical ties to the Lakota Sioux tribe, dating back to 1776, French fur-traders, white settlers alike.
Literary references to Thunder Butte appear in the story of Hugh Glass, a mountain man/trapper whose nearly deadly encounter with a grizzly bear in 1823 left him stranded and alone. After reviving, he crawled 80-100 miles from the Grand River to the Cheyenne River over a period of six weeks, using the Thunder Butte landmark to guide him.
Ziebach County is now home to 2,413 residents. The area is home to a strong farming and ranching community, agricultural industry, and rich cultural history.
The many river breaks, creeks and draws of northern Ziebach County provide cover for abundant populations of white-tailed deer, mule deer, antelope, sharp-tailed grouse, and turkey.
Carmichael Ranch Sale Property
Ziebach County, South Dakota
Township 15 North, Range 18 East, BHM, Ziebach County, South Dakota
- Section 4; Lots 1, 2, S1/2NE1/4- 159.64 Acres
- Section 9; SE1/4SW1/4- 40 Acres
- Section 20; NE1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 20; N1/2NW1/4, SE1/4NW1/4- 120 Acres
- Section 20; SE1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 21; NE1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 21; NW1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 21; SW1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 21; SE1/4- 160 Acres
Township 16 North, Range 18 East, BHM, Ziebach County, South Dakota
- Section 27; NW1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 27; SW1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 28; NE1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 28; NW1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 28; SW1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 28; SE1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 33; NE1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 33; NW1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 33; SW1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 33; SE1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 34; W1/2NE1/4- 80 Acres
- Section 34; NW1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 34; SW1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 34; SE1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 35; NW1/4NE1/4- 40 Acres
- Section 35; NW1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 35; SW1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 35; SE1/4- 160 Acres
- Section 35; NE1/4NE1/4, S1/2NE1/4- 120 Acres
TOTAL Deeded Acres: 4,079.64
2021 taxes payable in 2022 are $8,814.36
Ask a Question or Schedule a Visit
The information provided by Hewitt Land Company has been obtained from sources deemed to be reliable, but is not guaranteed or warranted by Hewitt Land Company or the sellers of these properties. It is the responsibility of the prospective buyer to independently confirm the accuracy and completeness of this information. Prospective buyers and advisors are encouraged to do their own due diligence in regard to tax, financial and legal matters, and to determine the suitability of a specific property to the buyer's needs. This offering is subject to errors, omissions, prior sale, price change, correction or withdrawal from the market without notice. All references are approximate. Any projections, opinions, assumptions, or estimates used are for example only and do not represent the current or future performance of the property. Sellers reserve the right to accept or reject any and all offers without liability to any buyer or cooperating broker. Fences may or may not be located along property borders.